November 22, 2007
Dear Family and Friends,
I hope this newsletter finds you well! I don’t know how the weather is like back at home but here in Romania we already had our first snow fall! I have to admit it was beautiful as we walked home from school last week and seeing the big snowflakes! In my last newsletter it was the Thanksgiving holiday in Canada and now it is the Thanksgiving holiday in the States. Happy Thanksgiving!!
fun times with students
I feel like this term is flying by so fast! I can’t believe that after this week we only have two more weeks left until the term is over. Where does the time go?! My classes are going very well. We continue to host social events with our students every month. Some of the events we have had in the last month were bowling, pizza and games and also dessert night. These events are great opportunities to get to know our students more and build closer relationships with them outside of the class!
I am enjoying teaching English to my students, especially the kids! The children show so much enthusiasm to learn English which just makes teaching them so much of a joy. This term I also started teaching English at Rozmarin which is a school that educates the gypsy community. I volunteer there twice a week (Wednesday and Thursday) and give English lessons to the children in the second class. God has given me a special love for the gypsy children especially after I visited one of the villages here in Târgu Mures back in July. The kids have just captured my heart! They are very affective and love to learn!
celebrating my birthday
This year was my first birthday in Romania and God truly gave me a very special one! My actual birthday was on Monday October 15th but that weekend was full of celebration. On the Saturday I celebrated my birthday with the team from school with cake and games. On Sunday I celebrated my birthday with my Romanian friends from my small group and they blessed me with all kinds of wonderful surprises! Then at school some of my students blessed me with flowers. I also want to say a big thank-you to everyone who e-mailed birthday cards and wrote birthday greetings on facebook. Thanks so much for remembering me on my birthday!! It was such a blessing to me to hear from so many of you!!
Invatand limba romana este greu ca si o alta limba dar Dumnezeu imi da maretia Lui in fiecare zi. (Learning Romanian is hard like any other language but God gives me His grace everyday). Some days I feel frustrated and discouraged because I struggle with it but then there are other days where I feel so full of joy because I was able to understand and communicate very well. I realize this is just part of learning a language but the important thing is to keep persevering and not give up! In October I attended a conference with the church in Reghin. At one of the services God spoke to me about my Romanian. God told me not to fear or worry anymore, especially with my Romanian but to believe in my heart that I will learn the language!
Since the conference my whole perspective has given me a new hope to learn the language! God has increased the opportunities for me to speak in Romanian. About a month ago my director made a rule that we are not allowed to speak in English in the office at school (only in Romanian) and it is actually a great rule! Two of my good Romanian friends expressed interest in helping me with my Romanian. I meet with each them twice a week to work on my conversation skills. A month ago I started going to church without translation and I continue to enjoy my lessons with my Romanian teacher Lidia!
– For the church conference I recently attended and all God did in my life during that weekend!
– I am thankful I got to attend a Romanian worship concert (The Messengers and Decean)!
– I am grateful for all of the opportunities God is giving me to work with children with English classes at school, Life and Light group home and working with the gypsy children at Rozmarin!
– I am so thankful for all of the wonderful friends God has given me here in Romania. My Bible study group continues to be an encouragement to me every week but I’m also so thankful for all of the other relationships that I am making at church and school!
– I’m so thankful for God’s continual provision in my life and for allowing me to be a part of what He is doing here in Romania!
– Please pray for me to improve in my Romanian
I believe in my heart that God is helping me learn the language but it still seems like a daily struggle for me. I have a deep desire to learn the language and eventually be fluent in it because I know I can be so much more effective in ministry and just living here in Romania! Please pray that God would continue to give me daily opportunities to speak in Romanian with my Romanian friends, my Bible study group, at church (especially with understanding the sermon), with the kids at Life and Light and just living here doing daily things.
– Life and Light group home. God continues to show me his heart for the orphan children at this home. I love going there every week and getting to know these kids! We will be giving the children a Christmas party in December. Please pray for all the details to work out for this special event we will do with them.
– Teaching English. Please pray for me that I would continue to grow and develop in my teaching skills with the adults and children but I would also reflect Christ to my students. The children at Rozmarin are doing amazing with their English but they need our prayers because they are all behind in school and also developmentally. God has opened up the opportunity for me to start ministering to one of the girls in my older kid’s class. Please pray for Naty and also all of the students I teach that they will experience God’s love as I interact with them.
– Fundatia APT English School. We are in need of more teachers! Please pray for God to expand our staff here at the school so we can continue to reach out to the students here. We especially need four more teachers to join us for the April term (2008).
I would like to thank-you for being my extended hands here in Romania. I feel so encouraged by your prayers and all of your e-mails. I appreciate it so much! Please check out my blog. I am trying to keeping it regularly updated for you know how things are going here.
Sa ai o zi binecuvantată! (have a blessed day)
My Contact info:
Address: Fundatia APT, Str. Horea nr 2, Targu Mures, 540020 Romania
Landline phone #: 011. 40. 0265. 245. 040 (from Canada)
Cell phone #: 011. 40. 0728. 711. 554 (from Canada)
My Skype IM: romaniangirl98
Financial support can be sent to: (please have my name written on the memo line)
In Canada: Christian Life Centre 1030 Ravenscroft Rd, Ajax ON L1T 4R9
In the States: Global Outreach P.O. Box 98, Bramwell, WV 24715
Here’s the link to my school’s monthly newsletter.