February 28, 2009
Dear Friends and Family,
I hope you are doing well and enjoying the winter season that we are in now. This past week I took some walks and enjoyed the snow as it fell down. It was beautiful! Tomorrow is March 1st; here in Romania it is a traditional celebration of the beginning of spring. Men offer women a talisman object called mărţişor, consisting of a jewel or a small decoration like a flower, an animal or a heart, tied to a red and white string. Happy spring!
Fun Times at School
It is hard to believe that we are more than half way through the school term already! The term is going well and all of my students past their midterm tests! It’s always a joy to see your students succeed in their language progress. I am really enjoying getting to know my students this term. This past month we have had two social outreach events at our school. Our first event we called it “Tour of London” and it was held on Saturday January 31st. No, we didn’t go to London! We played a game with the students where we went to different classrooms to find different landmarks in the city of London until finally we got all forty of the landmarks. It was amazing to see everyone run to different classrooms and it turned out to be a real competition between the teams to see who was going to come in first place! Our second event was the Aussie quiz and pizza evening and it was held on Saturday February 21st. Currently we have five Australian staff on our team so we decided to do a quiz to learn more about their country. They led the quiz and did a great job. After the quiz we all enjoyed eating delicious pizza and played some fun games like Dutch Blitz, UNO and spoons!
As I go to Rozmarin every Tuesday and Thursday afternoon to teach the gypsy children it has not only become just another English lesson with another group of kids but it has turned into a ministry of compassion for these kids. This past week on Thursday I tested them on the fruit that I just taught them (I need to submit grades to the teachers for their English class) and I was quite impressed on how well they did! The majority of the class received FB (foarte bine – very good) which is excellent because in the fall only a few of them received FB for the grade on the topics I taught. For me it is such a joy to see these children succeed in their English because I know they struggle much more with learning in school compared to children in “normal public school”. The children seem more eager to learn and it’s awesome to see them smile when they get it! God has been speaking to me a lot about these children and continually showing me His love for them. I just love going there, spending time with them and showing them love yet there are times Klara (she translates for me) and I still struggle with their behaviour. Please pray that God would touch their hearts, fill them with His love, and continue to help them with school (specifically their behaviour and attention span).
Life and Light Group Home
This is another ministry I am very passionate about that I do outside of the English school. Now there are three of us who go to Life and Light group home every Friday afternoon – David who is Romanian and Bek who is from Australia. It is such a blessing to volunteer together with David and Bek because they are great with the kids and have the same passion as I do to reach out and minister to them. When we go there we do not have a set program that we do every week but we usually do some kind of craft or colouring sheet and also we do puzzles and games with the kids. A couple of the crafts we did this past month were decorating a construction colour paper with “Isus mă iubeşte” (Jesus loves me) written on it. We did a special craft for Valentine’s Day where we brought heart shaped colour construction paper with “Dumnezeu este dragoste” (God is love). The children had fun decorating the heart paper with stickers and drawing pictures on it. I also brought heart shaped suckers for Valentine’s Day and balloons as well. They definitely enjoyed playing with the balloons and then later eating the candy! Yesterday when we went there I was able to spend some time bonding with some of the girls where I was able to cuddle with them for a bit. It was a special moment God gave us and I can see the children are trusting in me more. Another encouraging thing is when I first started volunteering there I could hardly speak to the children in Romanian and now I am having conversations with them almost every time I go there! Praise God!!
I got a second housemate!
On Wednesday February 4th, in the morning my very good friend Christina who is also one of my first Romanian friends God gave when I came here almost two years ago moved in! My friend Cristina had been going through a difficult time at home in the last year. She had a lot of stress and pressure from her family and misunderstanding of them not accepting her being a Christian and how she has decided to live her life didn’t match up to her parents standards. On Monday February 2, I really challenged and encouraged her to pray and ask God about moving out because where I live we had an empty bedroom and I didn’t want her to be in that situation anymore at home. The next day when I got home from work she contacted me on yahoo messenger and told me she prayed about it and wanted to move out. She not only made a decision to move out but to do it the next morning! I was in shock by her sudden decision but yet very happy for her that she prayed about it, she knew she heard from God and didn’t hesitate to step out in faith. Cristina really likes it here and feels at peace where she is living now with Evelyne and I. I’m so glad to see how God has helped her make this transition to moving out (even though her parents weren’t happy about her decision) and how well she has adjusted to her new life. It is such a blessing to live with Cristina to spend more time together, pray together and also speak Romanian at home too!
· I praise God the winter term is going well and for the social outreach events that are providing more opportunities to get to know the students outside of the classroom.
· I praise God for all of the amazing things I see Him doing both at Rozmarin and Life and Light with the kids!
· I am so grateful for all of my Romanian and Hungarian friends who are not only encouraging me in my walk with Christ but also challenging me to speak in Romanian too.
· For my Romanian language. God has been increasing my understanding of the language and speaking skills. I have noticed some major improvements over this past month which is so encouraging! I do not feel as afraid as I used to be when I speak in Romanian and it is becoming more natural to me to speak it. God has deepened the passion and motivation in my heart to learn the language. Please continue to pray with me as I learn the language.
· Please pray for my English classes both at the English school and also at Rozmarin. I would like to ask specific prayer for God to show me how I could have better classroom management skills with my students because lately it has been a bit of a struggle when I teach with some of the student’s behaviour.
· For the children at Life and Light group home and at Rozmarin that they will continue to know Christ’s love for them. My desire is for more opportunities to talk about God with the kids.
· For my personal relationship with God. I desire to experience more of Him each day and that He would continue to speak to me and change me to be all that He has created me to be.
· I would also appreciate your prayers for my health. I have been battling with this cold for a month now and sometimes I feel weary as well. I need God healing for this cold and His daily strength.
“Domnul să te binecuvinteze, si să te păzeacă! Domnul să facă să lumineze Faţa Lui peste tine, si să Se îndure de tine! Domnul să-Si înalţe Fata peste tine, si-sa-ţi dea pacea!” (Numeri 6:24 – 26)
“The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.” (Numbers 6:24 – 26)
My Contact info:
Address: Fundatia APT, Str. Horea nr 2, Targu Mures, 540020, Romania
Landline phone # 011. 40. 0365. 421. 294 (from Canada) – NEW phone #
Cell phone #. 011. 40. 0728. 711. 554 (from Canada)
Financial support can be sent to: (please have my name written on the memo line)
In Canada: Christian Life Centre. 1030 Ravenscroft Rd, Ajax. ON L1T 4R9