September 30, ‘09
Dear Friends and Family,
I hope you are doing well. It’s hard to believe that summer is over and we are now officially in the fall season. Bine ai venit toamnă! (Welcome fall).
New School Year!
On Friday September 11, we had an all day team/staff meeting. Throughout the summer some of us went home for a break and some of us had their families visit them here in Romania. It was a busy summer of teaching summer classes, travelling and visiting our family and friends so it was great to have a day where we can reconnect with each other before school began. We began our day with a time of devotions where we worshipped God and prayed for each other. We also went around and shared different things God has been teaching us and highlights of our summer. We then discussed some school related stuff for the upcoming term, shared some cleaning tasks along us and we ended our day with a barbeque at the Plateau (a park in Târgu Mures). It was wonderful to spend the day together!
My team I work with here in Romania also had a big change this past summer. Kevin Sissons who has been the director and founder of the English School and the foundation here in Târgu Mures, Romania has returned to England as He felt in his heart that God wanted him to return home. In August
Rebekah Hoorn who is our new director joined our team here! Rebekah has been serving in Romania I think already for four years as a full-time missionary with ABWE (Association of Baptists for World Evangelism) and she also taught at the English school for a couple of terms as well so she is both familiar with living in Romania and with the school. We are very grateful for Kevin’s leadership he gave to the team and school and we will miss him very much but we are also excited to have Becky (she goes by that name) lead our team now too!
On Monday September 14th the new school year started in Romania. At the English school I teach at all of our classes were in full swing the same week school started here. This term we are offering classes both for children and adults at all different levels. We specifically prayed for 200 students for this term and we got 201 students! God is so good! For me personally I have a very busy schedule and by Thursday evening I can definitely feel it. This term I have five classes and all of them are with children. On Monday and Wednesday I have three adventurers classes which are with the older age group (11 – 14 years old). On those days I teach two basic level classes and one advance level class. On Tuesday and Thursday I have two dolphin classes which are with the younger age group (7 -10 years old). I have a lot of new children in my classes but I also have a lot of returning students as well. It is a joy to teach the children!
Life and Light group home
On Friday afternoons I continue to go to Life and Light group home along with the other teachers who also volunteer there as well. I absolutely love going there and spending time with the children! It is such a blessing to see the close relationships that God has brought between us and the children. It is also a real blessing that I am able to communicate in Romanian more and more with the children each time I go there which is so encouraging! This fall the volunteers and I would like to teach English lessons through teaching the children Christian virtues. We believe it is very important for us to teach the children different virtues like: generosity, kindness, responsibility, perseverance. Please pray for us as we teach the kids these valuable truths. We need wisdom and creativity of how to teach them and for the kids to be attentive during these lessons too.
- I praise God for belonging to such a wonderful team here in Romania and also for the successful start of the school year!
- I praise God for the continual open door to minister to the children at Life and Light group home and also for all of the volunteers who are so dedicated to reaching out to the kids!
- I praise God for restoring the vision and calling He has on my life and also for renewing the desire to speak in the Romanian language once again.
- I would appreciate your continual prayers for my Romanian language learning. Currently I am taking a break from my lessons which means I need to purposefully make a more conscious effort to continue to communicate in the language and study it too.
- I would appreciate prayer for this school year term that I would be able to build close relationships with my students and teach them well.
- Please pray for the English school that I teach at it is in an urgent need of three teachers for January to continue to offer the classes and continue the ministry we do here.
- I would appreciate your continual prayers for God’s clear guidance and direction on my life as God is clearly leading me into a season of change in the ministry I do here in Romania. The desire and burden on my heart to minister to the orphan and gypsy children has been growing deeper and stronger this past month. Please pray for God to open up the right doors of which mission organization He wants me to serve alongside with that will be the right fit for me. Please pray for God’s wisdom for me to make the right decisions and also for His divine peace to rest upon me as I’m going through this time of waiting.
My Contact info:
Address: Fundatia APT, Str. Horea nr 2, Targu Mures, 540020, Romania
Landline phone # 011. 40. 0365. 421. 294 (from Canada)
Financial support can be sent to: (please have my name written on the memo line)
In Canada: Christian Life Centre. 1030 Ravenscroft Rd, Ajax. ON L1T 4R9
In the States: Heaven Sent Ministries. P.O Box 5392 Princeton, WV 24740