Wednesday February 9, 2011
Dear Family and Friends,
I hope you’re doing well! I hope you are enjoying this winter season we are in. Can you believe that January is gone and we are already in the month of February? I also cannot believe that I have been in Oradea a little more than 10 months already! Seriously where does the time go?
Ministry at the Sabolciu gypsy village
January was such a great ministry month with the children at the village! Throughout the month I felt like God started to bring more unity along the Sabolciu team (Norbi, Mircea and I) because we had a clearer communication between us and worked together with the program we did with the children. I started teaching English again which was really great
and the children enjoyed the lessons we did. This is what a typical program would look like that we do every day with the children there: Begin with prayer, sing some songs, play a game, do a short English lesson, learn a Bible verse, share a Bible story, end with colouring and prayer.
The children just love going to church for the after school program that we do. They absolutely love to sing and they get so excited about it! I think it is so great that we start and end the program with prayer. It has been a desire of mine to start teaching the children memory verses so we started doing that in January! We taught them this verse “Pot totul în Hristos, care mă întăreşte” – Filipeni 4:13. Can you figure out the verse? I was amazed how quickly the children learned the verse! One of the days when we asked one of the girls to say the verse, she told us that she didn’t know so her older sister walked over to her and got her to repeat after her. It was an awesome moment to see Elena teach her younger sister Dana the Bible verse!
A Roommate for 3 Weeks
I had the wonderful blessing to host Meg from Sunday January 9th – Friday January 28th. She is an university student, in her senior year and she had a three week break in between her school terms where she could either take an intensive class or do a service project. Meg
decided to do a service project in Romania through Pathway to Joy Ministries! This was actually Meg’s sixth trip to Romania so she already knew a lot of the children that we work with here and the kids were very excited to see her come back for a visit. She had quite a busy schedule when she was here with being at the children’s hospital with the abandoned babies in the mornings and in the afternoons she was with the gypsy and orphan children. At first I was a bit nervous how it would turn out with the lack of space or how Minnie would be with a visitor but everything was fine. I always love seeing young people have a heart for missions so seeing Meg have a desire to return to Romania and to return to out to the kids here was a blessing for me to be a part of it! I’m sure the children will miss her.
One Word Vision for 2011
At the beginning of December I started listening to an awesome Christian radio station called K-Love on the internet! I absolutely love it and I have been listening to it every day since I found it. It has such a great variety of Christian music and the DJs are so encouraging. During the month of January Lisa and Eric who are two of the morning DJs talked about the one word challenge for the New Year. This is basically choosing one word instead of making a list of resolutions. This one word focuses on your character and creates a vision for your future. A couple of examples of people’s words they choose are: compassion, purpose, faith, etc. Even though I heard about it every day in January I didn’t really give it much thought until January 26th. I thought to myself it doesn’t hurt to give it
a try so I chosen the word “FOCUS”. Sometimes I find myself get easily distracted by things so this year I choose to have more focus on my time, with God, my relationships with people, etc. How about you? Even though the month of January is already done it’s not too late to give it a try!
- I praise God for the unity God brought between the Sabolciu team and the improvement with our daily program that we do with the children there! Also for the close bond with the kids!
- I praise God for the opportunity to host Meg and the great time that we had together.
- I praise God for the wonderful blessing to listen to encouraging Christian radio everyday!
- I praise God for making it possible for me to have Andreea over at my place for the weekend!
- For continual prayers for the ministry that we do with the children at the Sabolciu gypsy village.
- For my mentoring relationship I have with Andreea that I’ll be a positive role model for her.
- For my continual Romanian language learning especially in my fluently in my speaking.
- For my quiet time with the Lord in the mornings that I will continue to discipline myself to get up early and spend quality with Him. It is my passion to continue to grow in Him every day.
- For my Minnie! I will be in Canada for six weeks in the spring (May 2nd – June 16th). This will be my first time leaving my cat for an extended period of time (longer than a week) since I have moved to Oradea. I need prayer because I am not only looking for a cat sitter to make daily visits but for someone to stay in my apartment for the entire time with my cat.
My Contact info:
Address: Pathway to Joy Ministries. Bd. Stefan cel Mare 88, Oradea, Bihor, 410437, Romania
Home Landline phone # 011. 40. 359. 424. 077 (if calling from Canada or USA)
My blog: https://romaniangirl98.wordpress.com/ – check out my daily updates!
Financial support can be sent to: (please have my name written on the memo line)
In Canada: Christian Life Centre. 1030 Ravenscroft Rd, Ajax. ON L1T 4R9
In the States: Pathway to Joy Ministries 1415 Wiley Street, Hollywood, Florida 33020