My Crazy Adventure back to Romania

On Monday January 12th I had spent the majority of the morning packing up my luggage to return back to Romania after three weeks of spending it in Canada for the Christmas holidays. It was really great to be able to have lunch with my Mom and my brother Jonathan on the way to the Toronto airport. I was very thankful that they were both able to come with me to the airport to be able to say good-bye.

My check in at the airport went well. I really want to praise God for His divine favor that logo_topnav_toronto_pearsonthe woman who checked me in for my flight gave me favor with my luggage since one of them was 1 kg over so she was very gracious and she let me it go through even though it was overweight. After I checked in I had a little time with my Mom and Jonathan before I went through security and then it was time once again to say good-bye which is never easy for me at all.

My first flight was scheduled to leave from Toronto at 6:10pm but I do not think I boarded13741 the plane until around 6:40ish. I did ask if the plane would be late flying out but they told me that they will make up the time in the air so I just thought that is good and everything will just be fine for getting my connection in Frankfurt. However, that was not the case after all because it turned out there was something that was wrong with the plane. They tried to repair the problem but in the end they couldn’t so after waiting a couple of hours in the plane at the airport they made an announcement that the flight had been cancelled and it will be rescheduled to leave the next day.

When I heard that my flight was cancelled I felt overwhelmed and I panicked because this has never happened to me before from all of my time traveling however I was very grateful that the Lufthansa airline took great care of all of the passengers from that flight. I have to admit though there was a lot of confusion that everyone had experienced since there was not a very clear direction that was given to everyone from the beginning. We had to all go downstairs to get our luggage and then we had to stand in this very long line to get assistance of what we were to do next if we did not have a place to stay that night.

I decided it would be the easiest just to stay in Toronto with the hotel that the airline provided us with because by that time it was already past midnight so it was quite late to return to Whitby to go back to my Mom’s house or even ask my Dad to pick me up too. The line that we waited in to get assistance was very long. I do not even remember how long that I ended up waiting in line for but at least a couple of hours. I am so very thankful though that I ended up meeting this wonderful woman name Mary. We ended up talking as we waited in line together and it turned out that she was a former YWAMer which was such a pleasant surprise and such a God appointment too!

The Lufthansa airline company actually arranged for this other company to take care of all OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAof the passengers from our cancelled flight which I was quite impressed how well they did take care of us even though it was very disorganized at times. I am so very grateful that Lufthansa airline paid for me to stay at the Crowne Plaza hotel which was near the airport along with 200 other passengers from that plane. They also provided transportation from the airport to the hotel and they provided meal vouchers as well. I couldn’t believe how late I ended up eating my dinner that night. I ended up going to this Greek restaurant that was opened 24 hours with a bus load of the passengers from that flight around 2:30am. They served breakfast there 24 hours so I ended up getting a ham and cheese omelet. I couldn’t believe the size of the portion because the plate was huge! It was really delicious but I really did struggle to finish my plate because I was so exhausted by that time.

It was such a blessing that I was able to share a room with Mary who I met in the line at the Toronto airport. It was really great to share a room with her even though we were both very exhausted and we didn’t talk so much but it did give me a sense of comfort to share a room with a Christian woman and also it was amazing to share it with a former YWAMer too!

The next day (Tuesday January 14th) I ended up missing breakfast because I was so exhausted since I didn’t end up going to bed until around 4:30am. I ate lunch at the hotel I think around 12:30pm and then I went back to my room to send an e-mail out and update my facebook status of what was happening with my trip back to Romania. I think it was around 2:30pm that they started to provide transportation back to the airport from the hotel. I have to admit it was quite funny to see the look on people’s faces when they came to the hotel and they saw all of the people waiting to get out! I told some people that came in that we are all from a cancelled flight from yesterday and we are all now leaving to go back to the airport.

I was so very thankful that my Dad was able to meet me at the Toronto airport when I flew

My Dad and I at the Toronto airport.

My Dad and I at the Toronto airport.

out on Tuesday especially since he was not there the previous day. It was a wonderful blessing from God to be able to spend some one-on-one time with just him before I left. I am very also very thankful that the woman who checked me in at the airport let my second piece of luggage go through that was overweight by that 1 kg which was again the favor of God! After I checked in my Dad and I ate a sub together from Subway which was a blessing because I don’t get that very often in Romania at all. After around an hour it was time again to say good-bye and go through the security to finally board my first flight back to Romania.

My first flight was originally re-scheduled to fly out from Toronto at 8:10pm but again it got delayed and unfortunately when I arrived in Frankfurt on Wednesday morning (January 15th) I ended up missing my connection to Bucharest so the Lufthansa airline decided to re-book my flight and send me to Munich and then to Bucharest otherwise I think if I waited for the next available flight to Bucharest from Frankfurt I would have arrived way too late in the evening.

I thought it was quite interesting that I ended up going to two different airports in Lufthansa_744_D-ABVEGermany in the same day! Well I did also end up getting some extra stamps in my passport too and then I ended up meeting James who I found out from him in Frankfurt that we were just on the same flight and we were both going to Romania so Lufthansa rebooked both of us to go through Munich and then to go to Bucharest. I thought was really nice of Lufthansa that they gave us a food voucher at the Frankfurt airport so I decided to get a burger with a schnitzel inside of it. It was quite good.

I am very thankful the woman who take care of me at the service counter at the Frankfurt airport let me call the bus company in Romania so then I was able to find out which buses were still available for me to take since I had missed my original bus at 4:00pm from Bucharest to go to Târgu Mureş. I also ended up missing the next bus after that which was at 6:00pm since my flight had arrived into Bucharest at 6:10pm so I ended up getting the very last bus to Târgu Mureş which was at 8:00pm.

When I finally arrived at the Bucharest airport after a very long and exhausting travel there unfortunately my duffle bag didn’t make it on my last flight so I had to go to the baggage claim when I discovered that. I am so glad though that my suit case had made it on my last flight! I knew airports deliver your luggage to your home because it had happened to me before but I didn’t know that they would deliver it all the way to Târgu Mureş because it is a 6 hour distance when you drive there so I was a bit worried but that. In the end there was no need to worry because they were able to deliver my duffle bag to my apartment.

Ah, home sweet home! I did end up getting the very last bus from the Bucharest airport home-sweet-homewhich was at 8:00pm. I arrived home in Târgu Mureş around 2:15am. I was exhausted beyond tired when I finally got home and I was so ready for bed and yet so happy to be home and with Minnie my cat again! The next day I was also very happy that I got my duffel bag which was delivered right to my apartment (it arrived at 9:30pm)!

I must say it was quite a wild and crazy adventure getting back to Romania after only being in Canada for three weeks but at least I now have a story to tell people! I must say that I really did enjoy meeting so many people and connecting with so many people who were on that cancelled flight. I also want to praise God for taking care of me during all of that adventure with having my hotel room taken care of, receiving food vouchers, Lufthansa re-booking an extra flight for me so I didn’t have to miss my last bus from Bucharest and I even got to meet my Dad at the Toronto airport on Tuesday which was an unexpected blessing! Now when I look back I really do have a lot to be thankful for of how much our Daddy God takes care of His children! 🙂

About Andrea

I am from Whitby, Ontario. I have lived in Romania for 9 years as a missionary but I am currently in Canada on a sabbatical break at this time. I have also lived in South Korea for a year and I have also been to Russia, Uganda, Albania and the Czech Republic on short-term mission trips. In 2012, God also gave me an amazing opportunity to go to Mozambique for the Harvest Mission School with Iris Ministries as well. I love children, reaching out to people who are in need and vulnerable, I have a passion to fight against the injustice issue of human trafficking and to simply share the love of Jesus wherever I go. I also love cats too and I have a cat of my own named Minnie!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s